Woodfibre LNG Limited, a subsidiary of Sukanto Tanoto’s Royal Golden Eagle (RGE) group of companies, established a community scholarship program for the people of Squamish. The purpose of this program is to give back to the community that provides great support for their ongoing liquefied natural gas (LNG) project.
December 11th, 2019 accounted for a total of over $1 million awarded by Woodfibre LNG Limited to the local groups and charities in Squamish. The day also marks the awarding of up to $40,000 to 10 local organizations and groups by the scholarship community.
The recipients were as follows:
- Ècole Squamish Elementary: $5,000 for the creation of an outdoor learning and play area
- Fourth Squamish Scout Group: $5,000 to replace worn-out tents, stoves, camping and safety equipment
- Squamish Minor Hockey Association: $3,500 for their rebranding
- Skate Sea2Sky Club: $3,500 for their AV and performance equipment to support performances by the club and other non-profit groups in the Sea to Sky Corridor
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Sea to Sky Corridor: $5,000 to help with the expansion of a recreational group mentorship program called ‘Game On!’
- The Nature Trust of British Columbia: $5,000 to conduct shoreline clean-up events
- Camp My Way: $5,000 to cover the cost of providing first responders and their spouses struggling with PTSD the necessary support
- Squamish Search and Rescue Society: $4,850 that will be used to implement an Advanced Medical Direction Program
- Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue Station Four Squamish: $5,000 for the refit of a vessel
- Squamish Chamber of Commerce: $3,000 for the development of the Squamish Youth Chamber
The Woodfibre scholarship program was formally established on May 12th, 2015, kicking off with $5,000 worth of grants given to five recipients, eventually building to what they are today.
“Since 2013, we are pleased to have contributed over $1 million to local charities and groups,” said President of Woodfibre LNG David Keane. “Our Community Sponsorship Program is one of the ways Woodfibre LNG supports local schools, services, and organizations that make a vital contribution to the community of which we are proud to be a part. It remains a priority for us to be able to provide benefits and opportunities for people who live, work and play in Squamish.”
About the ‘Woodfibre LNG project’
The Woodfibre LNG project is a liquified natural gas project carried out by Woodfibre LNG Limited. The facility used for the project is situated seven kilometers southwest of downtown Squamish. The project, valued at $1.6 billion, is expected to produce 2 million tonnes of natural gas per annum. Their first delivery is expected to be sent out in 2023.
About Woodfibre LNG Limited
Woodfibre LNG Limited is a privately held Canadian company based in Vancouver, British Columbia. The company is a direct subsidiary of Pacific Oil and Gas (PO&G), managed by RGE.
About Sukanto Tanoto
Sukanto Tanoto, born in Medan in 1949, is the Founder and Chairman of RGE. He established his company in 1973 with the intention of going global. Today, his company has over 60,000 employees with operations in Indonesia, China, Brazil, Spain, and Canada. The companies managed by RGE include pulp and paper – APRIL and Asia Symbol; palm oil – Asian Agri and Apical; specialty cellulose – Bracell; viscose fiber – Sateri and Asia Pacific Rayon; and integrated energy provider – Pacific Oil & Gas.